07 September 2006

Shore Acres State Park Part 1


August 29th, Bill and I went to Shore Acres State Park. This has become one of our favorite places to go to walk the trails that run both inland and along the coast. (http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_97.php) They have several different trails to choose from in addition to the formal gardens. We’ve been to Shore Acres many times in the last couple weeks, so I’ll likely be posting about this more than once.

On this particular day we walked the trail that takes you to the Cape Arago Lighthouse overlook. This trails leads you along the coastline and provides for some awesome views. I had selected over twenty images from this day alone and I’m having a hard time choosing which ones I want to post. There are so many good ones it’s hard to choose from. One of my favorite things about the southern Oregon coast is you never know what you are going to get as far as the weather goes. And the different weather makes for a completely different experience. On this day it was mildly overcast and the fog was just rolling in, which provided that quiet, mysterious kind of feeling. This has rapidly become one of our favorite places in the country.

Along this trail we encountered a couple of pretty interesting things. First is this tree. I have no idea why, but I’m drawn to this tree every time we go to Shore Acres, I just love it. Then just as we were getting started along the trail we stopped so Bill could take some pictures of the various rock formations and whatnot and up pops this little guy out of the water to do a bit a sunbathing. We have some really awesome pictures of the various rock formations in the area, but I had a lot to choose from for this post and they didn’t make it, maybe in another post later on. We’ll have to wait and see.

At the end of this trail, before you turn around and come back, is an overlook to the Cape Arago Lighthouse. It provides nice views of the lighthouse and again, is a completely different experience depending on the weather. Check out last year’s posts to see the difference in the weather.

At the end of our trail walks we always end back in the Formal Gardens as our cool-down walking and take pictures of whatever new flowers happen to be blooming. It’s been a lot of fun to see what’s new from day to day and week to week. Again, I’m having a hard time choosing images to post, there are just so many. At the end of this walk the fog had reached the Garden and gave it an almost fairy-tale feeling. It felt like Brigadoon, for all you musical lovers out there.

I guess that’s going to have to do it for me for this round. I really do wish I could just post all our pictures of all the beautiful flowers. If you want to see them all, you really need to visit the gardens in person.

Stay Tuned for more!

;-)K