07 November 2005

Heceta Head


On November 2nd, Bill and I drove up to Yachats, OR to take in some views and check out some parks. Mostly it was to just get out of the RV. We’ve been having some pretty nasty wind and rain for the last 10-14 days or so…straight….non-stop. We experienced wind gusts up to 40-50mph. Let me just tell you how much a lightweight RV gets knocked around in that kind of wind, we’re lucky we’re still upright.

On our drive back we stopped at the Heceta Head Lighthouse. It’s a half-mile hike to the lighthouse that we didn’t do that day because it was cold, windy, and the storm was moving in. We did take some pictures though. The southern Oregon coast is beautifully breathtaking. Storms and wicked weather just seem to add to the wildness and beauty of the place. There’s just no other place like it that I’ve ever seen, although, I’ve said that about most the places we’ve been. Watching the storm roll into Heceta Head was awesome; especially knowing that it was bringing heavy rains and Gale Force winds with it. Nothing like watching it come right atcha.

We got knocked around for several days by that rain and wind. It’s seemed to calm a bit, at least for a day or two. The lake we are on has risen significantly with all the rain. I hope that at least the winds still for a bit.

Saturday I drove up to a yarn shop here in town and found a treasure chest of goodies for any of you who like that sort of thing. http://www.yarn-store.com/ The woman who runs this is a really cool lady, I had a blast looking around her store and chatting with her. Check out her website if you like yarn, knitting, crocheting…anything like that.

Sunday I spent the day at the local rock/gem shop, run by a husband and wife duo. They are just awesome people. If you get down on the Southern Oregon Coast and you like beads, rocks, gems, jewelry, stop by their shop. Usrey’s Rock Bin on Hwy 101 in Lakeside, OR. I spent the day there because Bill (the husband, not my Bill) was teaching me how to cut Cabochons. He said I did an awesome job, especially for my first time out. He let me keep the rocks I cut and I’m looking forward to making them into jewelry. That’s my latest venture for those who don’t know. I’ve started making jewelry. I’ll post pictures of both my stones that I cut and my jewelry in the next post. I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to photograph them, I might have to enlist Bill’s help.

Hugs~
;-)K